What is LifeStream?
LifeStream is a 501(c)3 non-profit Massachusetts corporation with headquarters in New Bedford. It was founded in 1976 by parents of handicapped children seeking community alternatives to institutional care for their family members. It currently serves a wide range of community members including those with developmental disabilities, individuals on public assistance, and others.
The organization operates throughout Southeastern Massachusetts and employs over 500 people in 39 office and program locations.
Who does LifeStream serve?
- Disabilities programs serve individuals with developmental disabilities and individuals with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) over the age of 22.
- The Adult Family Care program serves elderly adults and adults with disabilities who cannot live alone safely.
- The Employment & Training division serves individuals currently on public assistance. The division is also a private business school offering a variety of health care related, fee-based training opportunities for all residents of Southeastern Massachusetts.
How do I get referred into LifeStream programs and/or facilities?
- Determination of eligibility and referrals for service are made by the state or local contracting agency, including:
- For inquiries regarding education and training opportunities email Employment & Training or call 508-991-4503.
- For inquiries about the Adult Family Care program email or call (508) 674-1539, ext. 3106.
- For inquiries about our Day Habilitation Services email or call (508) 998-2162.
Is there a cost to using LifeStream programs and services?
Most services provided by LifeStream are funded through contracts held by the organization with a variety of state agencies. Individuals must be determined to be eligible for these services and referred by the appropriate state agency.
Any community member interested in First Aid/CPR, Certified Nurse’s Aide, and other specialized trainings may enroll in these programs through the Employment & Training division for an established fee. Click here to learn more.
What geographic area does LifeStream serve?
- LifeStream’s disabilities programs serves individuals living in the towns of southeastern Massachusetts including Seekonk, Swansea, Somerset, Westport, Fall River, Freetown, Dartmouth, New Bedford, Fairhaven, Acushnet, Mattapoisett, Marion, Rochester, and Wareham.
- LifeStream’s Employment & Training programs serve individuals in the Greater New Bedford area.
How is LifeStream funded?
The majority of the organization’s revenue comes from contracts with state agencies including the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services, the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance, and the Massachusetts Department of Medical Assistance.
Where are LifeStream offices located?
See our Office Locations page.
444 Myrtle Street
New Bedford, MA 02746
Disabilities Division/New Bedford
13 Welby Road
New Bedford, MA 02745
Disabilities Division/Fall River
Father DeValles Boulevard
Fall River, MA 02723
Employment & Training
174 Union Street, 3rd Floor
New Bedford, MA 02740
How do I inquire about employment opportunities?
The Human Resources Department is located at 444 Myrtle Street in New Bedford. A representative can be contacted by email from our Contact Us page.